Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

3.26.2007

"For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.”

- Wendell Berry

******

Cooking and chopping are holy work.

Standing over the waste bin,
weeding through chaff,
these modern, citified hands
touch the bounty of the earth,
blessing it with water,
storing and gathering for its full and intended use.

It is a very good thing to be a woman.

Ankles stand small and proud,
supporting these ever-expanding hips,
preparing for the fulfillment of
their future blessing.

The light hum
of this feminine heart
beats strong
as delicate hands
chopchopchop
singing a sweetly staccato song
in a tune older than time.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing can compare to the joy of preparing a truly memorable meal that others are appreciative of. That must be the "cook" genes in you.

But you still have to master the "Donaldson meatloaf". Until that is done, you cannot call yourself a Master.

Love ya,
Daey

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Ally said...

I do not like meatloaf, Sam I am.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger noha said...

That's a lovely poem Ally. I like the first line; it reminds me of the Islamic concept that all good things, no matter how small or big, how "normal" or "typical" in our day, if done with a good intention, are a form of worshipping God.
Do you have this concept too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home