Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

6.26.2006

The still, small voice

"I cannot guess what we'll discover
We turn the dirt with our palms cupped like shovels
But I know our filthy hands can wash one another’s
And not one speck will remain."
Death Cab for Cutie - Soul Meets Body

I like noise. I seem to revel in music and community so much that life tends to get drowned out by the ambiance. Something about distraction is soothing, I guess.

I sort of get drunk on loud focusing. It clears my head better than silence because I'm just uncomfortable there. For some reason, I'm wired to figure my life's problems out better through a little bit of a haze. I think the buzzing directs me to one thing, and when there's utter quiet, my brain is left to wander...most of the time to dark places I'm not terribly excited about visiting.

So, it's both surprising and fitting that God speaks most clearly to me in a thin little voice that cuts through the clutter. I guess you could think of it like hearing someone call your name faintly in the middle of a supermarket. You know what I'm talking about.

"Ally," mingles with overbearing muzak and a woman talking too loud on her cell phone. I turn around. Nothing. Keep walking down the aisle. Pick up the new natural peanut butter I swore I'd never try. I should really pick up some brea-"ALLY." More emphatic this time, I KNOW there's someone there. I can barely hear Phil Collins. Someone's talking to me.

Now, usually my revelation doesn't come in a supermarket, but stuff hits me like that and shakes me out of my anxiety-ridden thought bubble. My brain is usually preoccupied with buying something, being someone, or reliving something that I can't change.

So when God cuts through that messiness and imparts some wisdom, it has a tendency to stick to the marrow of my bones like plaque. I have to address it or I get so anxious, I feel sick.

About two weeks ago, my friends and I very serendipitously found a newly homeless couple that desperately needed some furniture to spruce up their new domicile. I went with Elizabeth, who was moving that weekend and generously ponyed up an unneeded couch, and her friend Chris to deliver the goods.

April walked out. She had to be a few years older than me. Slight at one time, her six-month pregnant belly protruded, stretching her white cotton shirt beyond the limits of fabric's endurance. Her teeth were worn at the gum line with what I assumed to be the after-effects of a sabbatical with drugs. I was dumbstruck by the differentness of our existences.

After we unloaded a few things, she casually asked if we had any pots and pans to kick in. At the time, the question seemed casual and off-the-cuff, but it haunted me for the next three days like I'd heard a woman begging for her life.

It appeared that God had cut through the clutter of Africa, my impassioned search for new music, and whatever bullshit I thought was more pressing. There was a simple effort that could help her.

So, in a selfish effort to silence the small voice in my head and make it go away, I shot out a quick email to my friends. Lighting sparked. My friends were eager to help. Heartland (my old church) kicked in a crib, a bunch of clothing, a TV and whatever else they could need.

On Saturday we took it down. We filled a truck and Cass's car with food, furniture and other things I take for granted. They already had some of it, so they'll probably give some things to neighbors who need it more. They were appreciative, but I think people expect these situations to be sky parting, rockstar moments, full of generous praise and humble thanks for the good you did.

The thing is, I really didn't expect that, so I wasn't disappointed, but it was interesting to think about what we think someone's reaction SHOULD be.

I know that Robert and April needed some stuff, and I'm just happy that I know God enough to listen when he cuts through my crap, and encourages me to deliver it. I don't think I'm any more or less noble for doing it, but it just renews my hope that we can make some sort of difference...when we listen and do something.

It was just a small idea that PEOPLE latched on to. In essence, it was no different than throwing $2 in an offering or kicking extra change to the Salvation Army at Christmas. To be real, I didn't have anything to give except some sort of idealist, tree-hugging, liberal urge to try and help people in poverty in my community. That's what God's done to me. It's like breathing.

I used to try and come up with stuff like this to do on my own. It makes me feel good to help people. Now, God surprises me with some crafty sort of trickery and provides the answer to a prayer someone threw up in the 4th quarter. He delivers on prayers for me all the time, so I shouldn't be surprised that he does it for other people that have much more crucial needs.

So, I guess I'm just continually surprised by how cool God is. He could have divined manna to fall from the sky or made this couple win the lottery. Instead, I think it makes him happy to let us have some sort of gratification that we're a part of the circle of life.

I've got it good. I have a nice things, a really full refrigerator, and a laptop computer I'm typing this on right now. My parents would bail me out if things got rough. These people didn't have that, and it makes me happy to know that we're accountable to share some of the stuff we have...even if it's just initiative to organize, and an inspiration from the tiniest voice of our creator.

Today's soundtrack: Soul Meets Body - Death Cab for Cutie - Plans

1 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger noha said...

So now I'm addicted. I'm going through and reading your old God posts...
This is the part that struck me the most and seemed most similar to how I feel:
"So, I guess I'm just continually surprised by how cool God is. He could have divined manna to fall from the sky or made this couple win the lottery. Instead, I think it makes him happy to let us have some sort of gratification that we're a part of the circle of life."

I couldn't agree more. It's like when you're doing something and you're so proud of yourself for giving someone "less fortunate" something, or helping out planting trees, or dropping money in a donation jar, or whatever, and then you stop for a second and it hits you that none of the stuff you have really belongs to you. YOU didn't do anything for it that you could have done on your own, rather, by the Grace of God, you have this money, or life, or relationship, or talent, or health, or safety, and someone else doesn't. And that's the destiny God decreed for you; and now you have the choice of sharing what you were given as a gift, or keeping it selfishly to yourself. God doesn't Need you to worship Him, or to help someone else, He's above us; He could give those who need it anything they needed, but He Lets us get involved just out of compassion and love and a chance to prove ourselves.
Are we thankful for what we have? or do we become self-engrossed, and proud, and think we came upon it all on our own?

There are two interesting concepts in Islam that come to my mind when I think about this.
The first is that we believe that God equally distributed all his bounties to all, so while it may seem like some have so much more and some have so much less, when we look deeper, it's balanced and even. One person may have a balance of wealth and power, but little or no happiness. Another may have lots of happiness but little physical beauty. For another he or she has lots of physical beauty but not a lot of faith. For another, his bounty is in the form of faith. For another health. For another talent. For another love. and on and on with every permutation and combination possible. This isn't to say you don't strive to do better on all fronts. But it's a good way of keeping our egoes in check when we start to sore with pride about a talent we have, or knowledge, or wealth. Remember that someone else we think is so much weaker than us actually has something else that makes them just as strong.

The second concept is the idea that God Loves whom he Tests. For some, this test comes in the form of poverty, or illness, or some other form of misfortune. Then, to pass the test, they need to show patience and forbearance and contentment, not be bitter with what they have, as they struggle to overcome their misfortune. For others, the test is much less obvious, and it comes in the form of fortune, whether wealth, or talent, knowledge. And for those, they pass the test by Thanking God for what they have, by maintaining humility, and by sharing their good fortune, instead of misusing it or abusing it. Good things to remember for those of us who have a job, and a home, and family, and health.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home