Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

8.09.2006

From 30,000 feet















I penned this en route from London to Nairobi, just after we crossed over the ocean to the very tip of the north end of Africa...then reworked it a bit once I got home.

5:24 p.m. - Kenyan time

Separated from the earthy, arid floor 30,000 feet below,
my gravity-defying molecules rush over
the vast Libyan desert.

There are the most beautiful lines of streaked sand...
running like veins,
searching for water over its scorched skin,
parched and unsatisfied,
yet moved only by the fiercest wind.

It reminds me of what wet paint does when I hold the canvas upright,
rapidly descending the surface,
spiralling,
then touching another color,
then jumping away again.

Squinting through the brown hazy of dust,
I can make out a few tiny structures -
cement shelters,
oases in the unrelenting heat.
They form a smattering of mint-colored patches -
like the brown paint of desert is wearing off in spots
and the snow of ice ages past
is showing through.

This is Africa.

3 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool. Excellent photo. I've only had time to look at about 150 of your pictures, unfortunately. Work is exploding. My oldest grandson is in town visiting and our next oldest and his mommy ( our daughter) have been living with us since mid-June. Life is definitely upside down for us right now. And I need some sleep.

But first, another beer.

: )

Take care.

And thanks for listening.....

B

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Ally said...

Wow. Sorry to hear that, Bruce. Sounds brutal. Work PLUS grandkids running around. You've got to be exhausted!

My Dad keeps telling me he'd be awfully excited to have one of those kiddos to play around with...although I fear he's forgotten that there are some necessary steps that preceed that. :)

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet he hasn't forgotten those steps.

Two of our three kids skipped those steps and now the little guys are paying the price as are the rest of us.

It's really not fair to the little ones. In one case, our 27 year old son has two sons with different mothers. He lives with one of the mothers and has custody of the other boy. But it was a long painful expensive process to get there.

I'm totally in favor of the traditional way as I think it provides the best chance of stability for the kiddos.

On the other hand, nothing is perfect.

Have a great weekend!! We're going to the waterpark tonight and the zoo tomorrow, then it's time to take one of our buddies home....

I'll miss him, but not the extra work associated with his visit....

Take care.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home