Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

8.02.2006

It's the little things (part mbili)

(mbili = two)

Bruce asked two questions in Monday's comment section that got me thinking:

When I ask people about their trips, I always ask "what was the best part, or thing you'll most treasure." Something like that. But I always ask, "what was the worst part or the thing that you least liked?"

Good questions, for sure.

First, the best part that I'll treasure.
















The kids.

I have so many stories about the adorable things that they did, but I was incredibly impressed by their eagerness to be educated.

The children at Villa Teag live above the school and they're all orphans. They sleep upstairs and then go downstairs for school and while you'd think they'd be really sick of the setting - they love it.

They consistently demonstrated an intelligence that I haven't seen in American children, although it's different. They're lacking in creative expression, but can remember really complex concepts - most likely a result of lots of memorization and reciting facts.

I spent most of the time with these preschoolers that are cracking up in the above picture. They would look up at you with these big doe eyes and listen to whatever you were teaching...repeating anything you said in the cutest little accent. (Don't worry, I'll be doing these imitations anytime you see me.)

In a few short days, I taught them how to write and remember numbers, how to phonetically sound out English words (a precursor to spelling them), and a few songs. They learn so remarkably well through song...even if "Itsy Bitsy Spider" was a LITTLE hard for them to say.

Seeing their desire to learn, I'm convinced that education is the key to Kenya's longterm success. It begins with empowering adults to get teaching degrees, and ends by encouraging the government to hire more teachers. Before we left there was word that there was a mass-hiring underway, and I hope that holds true. Education will not only stimulate minds, but will prove to be some sort of economic success for teachers.

The children also inspired me to keep their passion alive, and I'm committing to volunteer with kids on a regular basis here in the states. I'm not sure what this will look like yet, but I think I owe it to their memory to not to take education for granted.

Second, the worst part.

















The trash and pollution.

When we visited Dandora, Julius showed us the land his old house was on. It butts up to the largest dump I've ever seen. You litterally walk out the back door, and trash is piled up at least 20 feet high.

It is in smackdab in the middle of one of the poorest sections of the city, and it's on top of land that people own.

Think of it this way...you buy land to build a house on, and the government decides that your city block is the perfect place to dump trash. You complain, and it's possible that you'd be killed.

The Kenyan government is so corrupt that they collect money for garbage collection, don't collect it, and then almost literally, pile it on top of people that can't complain about it because they don't "matter." It's disgusting and it's at least 50 football fields worth of garbage piled up, causing asthma in residents surrounding it, encouraging criminals to hide within its piles and generally disgusting me.

Now, air pollution is another matter entirely. Almost the entire group got a nasty cold, and I think a likely contributor (along with 100 runny-nosed children) was the black smoke that billowed out of most industrial vehicles that cram the streets. I wish that my photos would show the smog more clearly, but you'll have to take my word for it. Our snot was black.

I don't know how corruption is directly causing this, but I'd believe that someone, somewhere is benefitting from not enforcing air quality standards.

Today's Soundtrack: "You Are What You Love" - Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins - Album: Rabbit Fur Coat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home