Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

3.21.2007

On reconnecting



New Ally, meet Ally circa 1999.

“Well my, my, you felt awfully insecure, didn't you. And you shouldn't be. Not with that sweet jean shirt. Still, trust me…it will get easier. Or you’ll care less. Or something like that.”

Sometimes it’s good to reintroduce our newest selves to our past lives.

Last night I had a long talk with a friend from college. It was refreshing to slip back into the same lingo, euphemisms and habits. When I talked about how much I’ve changed, he got it. When I mentioned my difficulties or weaknesses, he knew them well.

It felt like finding an old UNI sweatshirt of mine. Maybe it isn’t quite as new and novel (though I did look good in purple and gold). Maybe I don’t like a lot of the memories that come along with it. But damn, it’s sure nice that it is mine. It’s fantastic that it doesn’t need to be worn-in.

This season of lent has involved quite a bit of remembering. I’ve spent time recognizing that it’s ok to not progress at certain things – to remind myself that there are remnants of my past self that have always been worthwhile, kind and good.

I mean, growth is good and all, but how do you build a house, even a rickety one, if you don’t start with the foundation?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classic picture. Good point about foundations too. The problem is, so folks don't bother to be sure they've got a solid foundation. Then they attempt to build their dream house on it and wonder why it collapses.

But seriously. Purple and Gold? Don't you think you would have looked BETTER in Black and Gold???

B

PS. my word verification is nmgod. No message God. Seems pretty relevant to my life.

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn..

I meant...SOME folks....

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm....where are the globe earrings??? KMC

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Esue said...

That is awesome.

You wouldn't believe the vast number of denim shirts I see at my little primary school. OR the fact that rather than having casual Friday, we have patriotic Friday. That's right. "Every Friday, wear your red, white and blue!!!"

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Ally said...

B - I'll be donning black & gold now that the 'rents are in IC. You can always be a late bloomer when it comes to the Hawks.

...and keep asking God, even if you're not getting anything back. I find sometimes just asking the question is enough of an answer.

K - Globe earrings were in 3RD GRADE. Not SENIOR YEAR.

E - You live in an alternate universe. But I am happy to know that the jean shirt trend has come full circle.

Everything old is new again...

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Ally said...

oh yeah...and I don't have a gigantic mole on my cheek...no matter what the picture shows.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home