Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

7.21.2006

A glimpse of heaven

Sorry for the lack of posts. As they say in Kenya, Hakuna Matata (no worries). All is well, I am happy, blessed and contented...but mostly tired. Hence the lack of posting, and email has been a little spotty.

There are so many moments, and I feel obligated to share them all, especially with those of you that have been so supportive, but I know they'll be revealed over time.

One of my favorite parables from scripture is when Jesus compares the kingdom of heaven to a pearl found buried in a field. After a man finds it, he reburies it, sells all he has, and buys the field.

Kenya is my pearl, and this was a mere molecule that makes it so beautiful -

Yesterday at Missionaries of Charity, I sat with the women that work at the orphanage. They were done having tea, and I brought my photos to show them (many which feature you!). They LOVEDLOVEDLOVED it. I told them I work for the opera. To their ears, ohp-rah sounds like Oprah. The LOKC folks ought to like that :)

Anyway, they asked me to sing - no DEMANDED that I do. A spectacular thing happened. Ally Moore got embarassed. But, when seven Kenyan women pull you up, pull out your chair and sit in expectation, you better deliver.

So I sang. I sang Amazing Grace and almost cried. These women sang with me. Women from a world away, in matching outfits sang in broken English and swayed as I performed for them.

After that, one woman, Sarah, went to get her song book, and we spent the next two hours singing hymns, songs and poems to each other. As my group PULLED me away to leave for the afternoon, I had time for one last song, which I thought was terribly perfect. U2's I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

In the song, Bono says,
"I have run,
I have walked,
I have scaled these city walls,
these city walls,
only to be with you."

I have saved. I have prayed. I have cried. I have wept.

I have scaled this hurdle, only to be with the truth.

To see God's face. To touch his people. To see heaven.

Asante sana, yahweh.

Thank you, God.

1 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola, Girl you always find a way to bring music to be a special part of everything you do. How awesome is that! I look forward to my own personal concert when you return. :)You have been holdin' out! I love you so much and I am missing you so much.
Jeter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home