Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

2.27.2007

Lessons in stillness

"Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes."
Psalm 37:7

****

During Lent, the stillness in our souls can become fertile soil. In this calmness, our hearts and minds grow incredibly receptive to the rhythms of God already beating in our hearts. In these secret places, I am seeing the importance of showing solidarity with other humans. These are a few ways I hope to do that:

Rice Bowls – As I introduce fasting in this season as a discipline of solidarity, this program (Operation Rice Bowl) makes that practice reflective, communal and intentional. It also includes bits of almsgiving.

Prayer – I’m captivated by prayer. I believe wholeheartedly that in a world where we are often hopeless, prayer increases our strength, faith and endurance. During this time, it is a beautiful thing to make ourselves less important and to focus on the needs of others. Prayer is a quieting and restorative way to do that.

Turning off the TV – I won’t go so far to say I have (or can) give this up for Lent, but I’m definitely trying. I’ve cracked a few times, but am thinking about why I watch certain programs and whether they are life-giving. The resulting silence has made me realize a few things:

1. Our culture is drunk on celebrity. I felt so out of touch when I didn’t watch Grey’s Anatomy on time. (Full disclosure: I caved this weekend.)
2. TV is a quick-fix for my loneliness. I turn it on to feel like there’s another voice around.
3. It is an effective numbing agent. My brain is already so stimulated and analytical and this new silence doesn’t exactly quiet all my thoughts. Sometimes, I uncomfortable around myself.
4. Conversely, it has birthed beautiful moments of calm – especially in the morning as I get ready for my day. I drive to work with noticeably more peace.

Asking difficult questions – I am attempting to wrestle with these things, and I encourage all of you to join the dialogue too. Journal or comment or pray over them if you like.

How am I intentionally observing Lent?
Are my efforts designed to honor God or to prove that I can “do” something challenging?
What issues or discomforts do I have with tithing?
Why do I/should I fast?
What did Christ experience in this time leading up to his crucifixion? What parallels are there in my life? In the lives of the poor in my midst?

****

"In the face of the terrible challenge of poverty afflicting so much of the world's population, indifference and self centered isolation stand in stark contrast to the 'gaze' of Christ. Fasting and almsgiving, which together with prayer, the church proposes in a special way during the Lenten Season, are suitable means for us to become conformed to this 'gaze'. "
Pope Benedict XVI

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home