Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

2.01.2007

I'm just saying...

1. Peace Be With You
As I’m sure you can tell from this space, I’ve been spending quite a bit of time in very intentional reflections. More thoughts will come about this new venture at the right time, but for now, I’m holding it tightly to my own little chest.

I will say this: It is worth the time to purposefully create spaces in your life for God to speak with you. Do whatever works for you - take some time away from work, go for a walk, visit a museum. Challenge yourself to do it alone and without noise. Ask God to visit you in these moments. I promise he does not disappoint.

2. Psalm 40:3
Dark Days - Fat Freddy’s Drop – Based on a True Story
Sometimes I get so obsessed with a song that I repeat it until even I get annoyed. Dark Days is one of those beautiful pieces that I love. Strings haunt me from the background, a light Seal-like lead singer croons over it all, and at the end it works up to this magical little synthesizer frenzy that I wish would last longer than it does. Le sigh.

Neko Case – Live from Austin
Neko has a new live album on iTunes and it’s SO worth picking up. She’s a siren and the woman can SANG. It’s even more evident without production noise around her.

Gold Lion – YeahYeahYeahs – Show Us Your Bones
I honestly didn’t think a woman could make the noise “oo-ooh, oo-ooh” over and over again and I’d love it so much. The stripped down drums remind me of something the White Stripes would’ve done, and it’s way different than Maps. This ditty has made it to the top of a new playlist appropriately titled “Fierce.” Enough said.

3. Affairs of State

I know I should be following every little political, erm, dropping that is plopping out of Washington these days, but I’d like to read the news without any Beltway Banter. Is that even possible anymore? To read an article that doesn’t have an expert telling me what to think?

Maybe I’m being rebellious, but I’m still trying to make up my mind about a few issues. Here’s what I know right now:
a. War is bad. Really, really bad.
b. Iraq is a quagmire.
c. We’re in a pissing match with Iran.
d. I’d like us to come home, take a timeout, and fix some domestic stuff (like education and health care).

Guys, last month’s remembrance of MLK made me yearn for the days of real discourse, intellect and collaboration. I pray that this New Year and the impending elections will bring it. I know it’s still early, but I DO see one democratic candidate that seems to be trying to bring clarity and I sense a peace and practicality that is refreshing in him.

Let’s see what you’ve got, Barack.

5 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the 'audacity to hope' Barack is the answer we've been looking for. Hoping he can bring a human prespective back to pissing matches and temper tantrums (No, I'm the BOSS) KMC

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Ally said...

I knew you'd love this one, Kel.

Did anyone see last night's Daily Show? Jon did a hilarious rendition of Dick Cheney reading poetry. I'm sure you could find it on YouTube, but I'm too lazy to go hunting. HaHa...hunting :)

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you mean by "real discourse, intellect and collaboration" and MLK?

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Ally said...

To clarify...

Last month a few friends and I watched a documentary on MLK's life, speeches and the overall civil rights movement. Afterward, we ended up talking about how we hunger to see leaders and politicians (like Bobby Kennedy of that time) that actively pursue equality, peace and justice. Our discussion also covered people capable of almost unthinkable social reform – Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Desmond Tutu etc.

I guess what I’m getting at (in this post’s brain dump) is that I ache for a new leader to be capable of social reform on a few issues: rights of the poor, generous charity and humanitarian intervention. I'll admit I'm wrapping my arms around what that looks like.

MLK spoke often of peace and working together to achieve it. Hearing his speeches again rekindled my desire for our leaders to be moved towards peace, charity and meeting together discuss our differences. I ache for a leader that won’t seek out war. For a leader that won’t pursue violence.

I admit that tossing in the term “intellect” was a bit loaded, but I would love to see a leader who is also an orator. When I listen to MLK’s speeches, I’m not only moved by his mission and passion, but as a writer, I’m entranced by his ability to articulate it so beautifully.

Clear as mud, anonymous?

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That answer deserves its own post. Well said.

- A different anonymous

 

Post a Comment

<< Home