Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

1.10.2007

My Songbook - Part 3

Going strong...I'm loving this.

I Believe (When I fall in love with you it will be forever) – Stevie Wonder
Album: Talking Book, Innervisions

*You can snag an MP3 of it here*

What moves me:
I used to think Stevie Wonder was about as revolutionary and exciting as The Partridge Family. Maybe it was too many overdubs of cheesy commercials with Isn’t She Lovely? in the background, but he just seemed SO outdated and stuck in the 70s.

Then one fateful day a buddy (who’s taste in music I respected) gave me a copy of this track. I hadn’t yet seen High Fidelity (which runs this song at the end), so I was able to render my own judgment.

This song is epic. The dreaminess at the beginning transcends decade, space and time. It takes a brilliant songwriter to achieve that, but I guess when you’re saying something true, it will always be timeless.

I believe that my grandchildren will love the purity of the lyrics. His words give voice to the covenant that we make to someone before marriage – the beautiful moment of realization when we commit to someone and say, I think this could become "it." I mean, "I believe when I fall in love with you it will be forever," those words are so simple, yet so powerful, permanent, and filled with certainty.

The song builds up like an inspired church song. At the end, he leaves you bouncing up and down, spinning around, arms stretched out, praising God, testifying and celebrating. The last rounds of "God surely answered my prayer, God always will answer your prayers, Believe in one who will answer my prayer," are heavenly. This is a man who knows what he’s found and is praising God for this woman in his life. Just brilliant.

A perfect listen:

Driving to the grocery store or somewhere "normal." You're content, just doing the simpler parts of life with the person who you've been bursting to say this to. Casually flipping the dial (because who wants to listen to "Bad Day" again), this song happens to be playing. You look out the window thinking about it, maybe even muttering that it's a great song. They grab your hand and hold it, silently letting the song speak for both of you. You smile and give thanks to God all the while.

1 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may sound strange, but a blind man singing his guts out about falling in love seems purer and more profound than your average love song... and that coda... this guy is brilliant.

And while I'm here... go to iTunes, type "Good God! A Gospel Funk Hymnal" and then click buy. You will eat it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home