Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

1.29.2007

Wintertime Annunciations



On Saturday afternoon I trotted out to my most treasured thinking spots at Shawnee Mission Park. Hat and gloves in tow, I gingerly stepped on the remnants of snow - most of it covered in ice, in some spots pristinely untouched by man or beast.

As I tried to keep my footing, my eyes, wide and searching, reveled in the frosty droplets God had deposited on the grounds.

That hour of reflection and snapshotting was bitterly cold. While the wind slapped my cheeks, the song “Refuge” rattled about my head, “When it's cold outside, there's no need to worry ‘cause I'm so warm inside. You give me peace when the storm's outside...”

Those words, the photographs I took, and the fat, rolling thoughts I later penned in my journal make me want to officially welcome winter.

Hello, friend. It's nice to have you back around.

****
















“You have fixed all the boundaries of the earth; you have made summer and winter.”
Psalms 74:17




"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Josh Billings



"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."
Albert Camus



"I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show."
Andrew Wyeth

















"It is a pleasure to the real lover of nature to give winter all the glory he can, for summer will make its own way and speak its own praises."
Dorothy Wordsworth

6 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger noha said...

I loved ALL the quotes, but the last one is spectacular. No other word... I have to jot it down in my writer's notebook.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Esue said...

Hmm. I don't love winter, or write odes to winter, but I do like this post. Yesterday the high was 37. Coldest day so far here in Wilmington. It felt COOOOLLLLDDD. Then I heard the high in Lincoln this week was 5 one day. It wasn't THAT cold. There is a beautiful quiet that occurs in the dead of winter, I just have a hard time getting my soul to agree with it.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Ally said...

There's just something majestic about winter. We're getting snow today and I'm positively giddy.

E, I love your last sentence - it's just so true. My spirit fights the stillness of everything for awhile, then something gives way, embracing the hibernation. Thank goodness my soul softened before March :)

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, let's try this for real. I liked the comment from Wyeth the best. How true that winter hides the promise of life to come.

Great pictures! Who did you learn that from?

Love ya
Daey

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Ally said...

At least I can aim :)

And I like Wyeth's best too.

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love winter too, A. But I must say the 60's in LA this week aren't too bad either. The folks here are frozen!!!

B

PS. Nice pics too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home