Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

1.31.2008

May peace reign.

With positively the heaviest heart, I pass this along to all of you.

Kenya, a beautiful country that I came to know and love has descended into a chaos that none of us dreamed possible. In the midst of this fighting, so far away, my friends were tragically touched.

Julius' brother Melitus Mugabe Were was the MP that was murdered late Monday night.

This week has been a blur of prayer vigils, chai pouring and now, urgent prayer and waiting as Julius lands in his native land to bury his eldest brother and attempt to get the rest of his family to safety.

My friends, I mourn for him. I ask you all to join in prayers for his safety and protection in the midst of the violence.

If you are in town and know the Were's, phone calls and visits will be appreciated. Tonight the Organization of Kenyans in Kansas City will host a fundraiser at their home. The next month will be challenging for them as they take on the financial obligation of this tragedy. They are expecting a baby, and that adds to the expense of it all.

If you want to donate, visit the Soulfari blog or mail donations to:
Soulfari Kenya:
PO Box 2321
Shawnee Mission, Kansas 66201

Julius, may God be with you. We love you. Come home safe.

2 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Blogger Bruce said...

Ally:

As I said in my email to you yesterday, please pass along my sincerest condolences to Julius, his family and friends.

Based upon what I read in the Star yesterday, they appear to be handling his loss with tremendous calm and inner peace, thinking first not for themselves but for their country and countrymen. That says a lot about the type of people the must be.

I'm quite concerned for Julius' safety back in Kenya and am certainly hoping he gets there and back safely.

Julius, if you're reading this, please be safe. Your family needs you both back in Kenya and the states.

Bruce

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Soulfari Kenya Administrator said...

Thank you Bruce. Asante sana Ally. -Sarah Were

 

Post a Comment

<< Home