Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

12.04.2007

the triumphant holiday return of miscellaneous opining

Huzzah!

Friends, blogreaders, countrymen, this place has been quiet. As such, I give you the following updates:

Last week I had one mucus-tastic sinus infection. My throat-swollen, headachy self looked to a helpful, loving doctor to restore my good health. As said doctor looks into my throat, she says, "mmm...that's bad." Always good to know. She went on to prescribe uncoated horse pills that must have gotten switched en route to the vet in an evil display of FedEx delivery person trickery. Like the 8-year-old that I am, I've been diligently cutting them in half and have returned to work this week, pills in tow, looking (and feeling) more like a normal person.

I went to see No Country for Old Men on Sunday and it was stellar, confusing, haunting, irritating and beautiful all in one little bundle. Two days later, I'm still puzzling my puzzler about certain plot gaps and starts, wondering what I missed. Best part of this movie: it messes with you. Worst part of this movie: it messes with you.

I feel like a certified grown-up this year. Perhaps it's the love-driven impulse to buy Christmas trinkets for my manfriend, but I've got almost everything bought. I also did most of it online. (I'll pause for you to shake your head.) Seriously, where have I been? I'm used to braving the huddled masses of frenzied soccer Moms during the last week of December, but have found (perhaps inevitably) that comparison shopping online for African trinkets is so much easier than hunting them down.

Also on the Christmas note, it appears that the gals group is doing a gift exchange this year. In light of all this icky shopping excess, it feels good to know that we're trying to step back. We will have a celebrating of biblical proportions in its wake with singing, feasting and merriment to boot.

That's right. Merriment.

Continuing with Christmas cheer, the man and I are putting up a Christmas tree at his place this evening, and I will think of you all with fondness in my heart and wine in my belly as I hang the coordinating blue and silver ornament balls.

I said something about merriment, people.

XOXO and Ho-Ho-Ho,
A-gator

6 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, Blogger Esue said...

Santa Claus and Frosty the snowman figurines have vomited themselves all over my living room as of late. There is definitely a tasteful way to decorate for Christmas, but it can not be found at my house. Looking forward to a simple Christmas where the greatest gifts will be time with friends and family.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Ally said...

Last night as we put up the tree, we watched Elf. I remember HATING that movie when it came out, but now, I find it HILARIOUS.

"Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?"

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHO ARE YOU????? E, it's ok, Christmas threw up in my apartment too. Looking forward to the merriment, that's always the best part of the holiday season. KMC

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Bruce said...

What's with all the barfing???

Try this BARF on for size....

http://www.doghause.com/sounds/dogjingl.wav

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

And Sheesh Ally Girl, you've been so GUSHY lately. It's nice to read about your happiness.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Soulfari Kenya Administrator said...

Ally, we need to talk about "No Country for Old Men". It haunted me too and I came away feeling frustrated. It's definitely not a feel-good film. -sarah

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Ally said...

B - you're right...what IS with the barfing?

And Sarah, we'll totally discuss. I've found some good reviews that helped me process it - I'll forward them your way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home