Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

7.09.2007

A missive before the safari begins

Hi kiddos.

I apologize for the incredible lack of posting as of late, but this summer has been certifiably nuts.

As seems to be the case with me, life changes tend to come in big, sweeping movements. Maybe it's my flair for the dramatic, but when something is around the corner, you can bet it'll be a good story that sets me stumbling upon it.

The latest adventure in my life is a new career path. Starting at the end of this month, I'll be moving from the opera world and will deal with prima donnas of a more primal nature - I'll be the Development Events Coordinator in charge of Jazzoo for the Kansas City Zoo.

1. Jazzoo is this wicked cool event that raises serious money for the zoo each year, so that was a huge reason I took this job.
2. This will give me the development experience I'll need to run a not-for-profit someday. (Which is my new longterm dream.)
3. Lions, cheetahs, koalas and elephants at work everyday?

Ummm...no-brainer.

Still, though I've been thinking about a switch for a bit now, this opportunity moved SOOOOOO quickly. From interview to acceptance = 7 days. Just enough time to make your head spin. But in the thick of all this, I've been reminded of just how often God speaks to me this way. Too much time or room to think, and I'll whittle all the beauty out of something. Things moving too fast keeps me dependent on Him.

I've got about 8 days left at the opera, then I head to Florida with the family for some good, quality R&R before I move into my new digs over at the zoo. Literally. Like, nearby the sea lions and stuff. I can eat lunch with the zebras. (Hope they like hummus.)

Anyway, I'm beyond excited, a little nervous (since this is largely uncharted ground for me), and mostly immensely thankful for God's sweet provision. He's been pouring down surprises all over the place as of late and I'm feeling just a little bit like I'm His favorite. (I know, I know. Every person is His favorite.)

In the meantime, keep me in your prayers, swing by the zoo in August, and keep checking this space. I'm sure there'll be all sorts of interesting fodder to muse about soon enough!

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Bruce said...

congratulations Ally!!!

Now we'll get a chance to run into you occasionally because Deanna is a FOTZ. We're there quite a bit, whereas the opera......well.......I don't like fat ladies in the first place so why should I want to hear them sing!!

Just kidding about the fat ladies!!!!

Anyway. Congrats again.

And fyi, the last few times I've tried to post a comment they didn't manage to get posted. It all started when I signed up for my own blog to promote something here at the agency.....

Oh well.

B

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Bruce said...

OH yeah.....

Have you seen "The Last King of Scotland"?

Amazing movie. I think you'd see some scenes that would remind you of Soulfari.

B

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Ally said...

Hi B!

No worries about the fat ladies...although she IS the new Lyric logo next season.

Truth be told, this is a bittersweet decision. I know the zoo will be great, but I also love the good things the opera is doing.

Still, hopefully we'll run into each other. :)

And yes, I have seen Last King...it was so brilliant, yet disturbing. The thing I appreciated most was the swahili - I couldn't believe it when I heard Forest Whittaker utter "twende" - "let's go" in swahili. It was beautiful. The kids in that movie also remind me so...well, TOO much of what I saw in Kenya.

Le sigh.

B, you nailed down a topic I've been thinking about a lot lately, and well, honestly, avoiding.

Perhaps that'll be August fodder too...

Good to know you're well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home