Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

4.17.2007

Old Grooves

This weekend I caught part of an old BET awards presentation that rocked my face off. They paid tribute to Chaka Khan (someone I haven't paid that much attention to). What really grabbed me was how Prince, Stevie Wonder and India.Arie serenaded her...then she joined up. Man. She can SANG.

Suffice it to say that my neighbors must have thought I was crazy because I was dancin' all around the apartment and trying to sing to I'm Every Woman. But that's another story for another day.

So fast-forward to today at the opera. I'm doing some writing and creative stuff before our opening of The End of the Affair this Saturday (which I'm totally pumped for). I figured I should pick up an old groove soundtrack on iTunes to stimulate creativity.

So far I've bought:

Rapture - Anita Baker. Holy crap I forgot how good this album is. My Mom used to play this in the car on the way to my ballet lessons. Well, this, Luther Vandross and Gregory Abbott, anyway. No wonder I've got some great taste in R&B.
Must listens: No One In The World, Sweet Love

I Feel For You, Ain't Nobody - Chaka Khan. Great dancin' tunes. Being the Prince fan that I am, I especially love I Feel For You. I need to check out more of her stuff.

Anyway, it's lunchtim and all this old tuneage buyin' has got me wondering - what do you listen to that your parents instilled in you? I've talked before about my Dad's penchant for '70s classic rock and the impact it's had in my musical tastes. I owe Mom big time for R&B and Motown.

Did your Dad love Willie Nelson? Your Mom in to Sinatra? Throw your thoughts up in the comments...

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents were tone deaf. I don't remember them ever listening to music (except elevator music-Percy Faith). My love of music at the time was NOT Classic Rock! It was the midst of the REVOLUTION!

I remember like it was yesterday (pause for effect)... listening to Cream. Yes, everyone grew up on the Beatles, and I still believe that you would be hard pressed to think of any group that did more for music than John, Paul, George and Ringo. But I digress.

Cream opened my eyes to ROCK! For the uninitiated I would recommend Cream's Greatest Hits as a Primer. From there all types of groups started to appear. Grand Funk Railroad, Deep Purple, Uriah Heap, The Stones and of course, Led Zeppelin. Oh could I go on. Suffice it to say once again, IT WASN'T CLASSIC ROCK!

Please feel free to buy me a beer sometime to hear some of my stories. No, you will never hear all of them.

Love ya,
Daey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home