Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

4.30.2007

life moves pretty fast

if you don't stop and look around, you might miss it."

Ahh, Ferris Bueller. Man of wisdom, that one...but he's right. Here's the cool stuff going on in my universe:

1. I ran the 4-mile Trolley Run yesterday with Cass and we had a blast. First off, it's all downhill, so your times rock (I finished in 41:30 - averaging a 10:29 mile...UNBELIEVABLY fast for me). Second off, 10,000 people ran, so the energy was amazing. Third, my quads are killing me. I realize this shouldn't be a plus, but I feel like a bonafide runner now.



2. Soulfari Kenya is having their launch party and face.africa gallery show on Friday, June 1. My painting of Mercy will be on display and it's gonna be just great. More details will be forthcoming...for now save the date, but try to come by if you're in town!



3. Jacob's Well has been doing a series that's got me all sorts of bajiggity about how I consume things. For starters, I'm trying to change where I purchase things (directly from the farmers, growers, clothing makers) and how much I consume (saying no to disposable sacks, carrying a water bottle instead of always getting a plastic one). JW is holding a forum this Thursday night to discuss it, and if you've thought about these things, it might be worth your time too.

4. The opera season is over. Cue the singing opera lady...and our new logo! It's time to start thinking about our 50th Anniversary Season now! Woot!
5. And on a totally horrendous note, a man shot up a mall in KC yesterday afternoon and killed 3 people. It just reminded me that life is precious and friends and family are a gift. We must practice kindness everyday. May you all be well and treat those you meet with compassion. The world is begging for it.

3 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey A.

Sore quads. OUch. I HATE sore quads. They seem to take forever to heal.

Got your invitation to the Soulfari gig. Hopefully we can make it./

Saw you on the way in to work today. We must both be slackers or something because it's NOT the first time I've been bouncing down Broadway and you're on a cross street like 10th or 11th.

Do you remember Emily from the agency? Anyway, she was AT the mall and parked less than 3 feet from the crime scene, less than 5 minutes before the shooting AND ended up getting locked down at TJ Maxx for 2 1/2 hours.

Crazy.

Later.

B

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Ally said...

B - not slacking. That's the benefit of the non-profit lifestyle. But I was a bit late grabbing a bagel (still riding the carb-wave out of the run) :) What's the statute of limitations on that anyways?

Not sure which Emily you mean...but it's incredibly sad nonetheless. I was just there 2 days earlier picking up the Trolley Run packets. If it had been a day earlier, there would have been other runners there. I just heard that one of the women killed was in her early 30's. I can just imagine how much life she had left to live.

It just sits heavy on my heart, is all. Throwing up some extra prayers in the chaos of this crazy world. Sometimes that's all we can do. That, and love people extra hard.

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lucky young lady. I'm just a slacker. That's all there is to it. I could almost always use another half an hour of sleep.

Ya gotta watch that carb wave !!! I think if I ate a bagel now after all these years of low carbing it, I'd explode.

The emily in question is Emily Dore. She worked primarily on Parade of Shoes and Citgo when you were still with us. She was there for a trolley run packet too I think.

The thing that really bugs me is how one wacko going off in Virginia seems to give the other wackos license to do the same. This happens every darn time.

New topic.

How about that big hole in the ground ? You know the new performing arts building. Do they have enough money to finish it?

Later.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home