Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

2.05.2007

Waxing Poetic

I'm trying on poetry again.

When I was in high school it fit me like a baggy sweater that I hadn't grown into yet. Tried it on with boyfriends to find it too tight around the neck, too cold, leaving me sweating.

I've done a lot of living since then. I might know how to knit my own thing now.

Sunday's threads are woven below, with a suggested soundtrack:
Magic Hours - Explosions in the Sky - How Strange, Innocence

*******

Gradual

The frigid sky opens cautiously, as if
squinting to receive
the dawn’s orange welcome,
pulling up over the horizon.

Winter ushers in a
tentative beginning each day,
world still sleepy in
warm beds, wrapped in
cozy wombs…

fighting the arrival of Sunday and
the buzy ushering of visitors,
the last minute to-and-fro
of errand running before
succumbing to work’s obligations
tomorrow.

But that won't sully this morning.

That Kansas sky woke me up
to seek out ink-stained hands and
caffeinated supplies,
reminding me that any place
can feel like home,
but the heart recognizes
its melody in the familiarity of
a sunrise -
a pitch that cannot be replicated,
but is quietly discovered over time.

2 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger myleswerntz said...

explosions is great poetry music.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Ally said...

It's gotta be something instrumental. When I listen to other poets, their words end up leaking on to my pages...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home