Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

1.04.2007

Tell me a story…

I sometimes wonder why people love to read and/or write. I don’t buy that some people JUST ARE a reader or writer. Sure, natural inclination, genetics, conditioning and all that psychology and sociology factor in, but I think it’s so much simpler. I think people love to read or write because of moments that set them free.

When my brother and I were kids, we’d beg and plead for my parents to read us a story before we’d crash out for the night. We’d run down the hallway in our jammies and catapult onto their big bed, cozying together for storytime. Sometimes we’d be armed with a book, and sometimes my Dad would make something up on the spot. When we got older we’d talk about politics, religion or family - all on that big, safe bed, under the umbrella of “storytime.”

Looking back, I don’t remember much about the specifics of these nights, as numerous as the pages we flipped. But I’ll never forget the feeling – like anything was possible, the world was vast and life unending.

***

As usual, I’m pawing through about 4 books right now, absolutely sure I won’t finish all of them. Among them: a biography on Dorothy Day, founder of the Catholic Worker Movement; Nature and Other Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson; The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard; and a book that’s reawakening my love of fiction, The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

I picked up Dostoevsky after reading about the impact Russian writers had on Dorothy Day. When she was a child growing up in Chicago, her strict father wouldn’t allow her to leave the house without supervision. As a result, she spent most of her time shut in her family’s library, enraptured by Tolstoy and Dostoevsky, learning about the plight of men enslaved in poverty. Day found identity and freedom in their words about a land half a world away.

When I crack the spine of this book, I feel like I’m lying on my parent’s bed again. Like life is unstoppable, vast and unending. I feel like I’m connected to this legendary woman. My eyes pass over the same words that enraptured her. My mind processes the same though changed her worldview. Through space and time and literature, I feel that I know her.

And that sets me free.

Today's Soundtrack: Magic in the Air - Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast

6 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger noha said...

I'm reading two books right now: "Long Way Down" by Nick Hornby (absolutely hilarious and poignant at the same time") and "Get a Life" by Nadine Gordimer. She's won the Nobel Prize for literature for other work, but I'm finding this one a bit difficult to get through, sometimes I'm just honestly lost as I try to read through...

But I can totally relate. Story time was like that in our house as kids too. We would all sit around (my sisters and I) and usually my mother would either make up a story on the spot, which were often incredibly hilarious, or tell us the story of one of the Prophets (Mohamed, Ibrahim / Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Adam)... Thinking about it now, that's probably why these stories, and the values you could glean from them, are so ingrained in me: I've known them my whole life...
My dad used to read to us from a book about the "Companions of the Prophet" over dinner when breaking our fast in Ramadan when we got a bit older, and usually these would end with us in tears because they were so touching and beautiful and deep.

Stories are indeed magical... I've tried to start about 4 of them, in handwritten journals, with varying success, but none are even finished in a first draft... all are long but eventually fall off... I'm hoping some day I have the discipline to go back to the good ones and fix up the plot and the characters and give them endings, even if they never get published formally, just for my own sake... Characters are people you invent, and it's SO much fun and so beautiful, and so freeing...

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger myleswerntz said...

Nick Hornby is a golden god.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Ally said...

Hornby is hands down one my favorite authors.

I liked Long Way Down, but I think About a Boy was his best work. High Fidelity is fantastic too, but I always think about John Cusack when I read it now (who I LOVE) and it ruins me being able to truly get lost in it.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger myleswerntz said...

check out How to Be Good when you get a chance. it's about a religious conversion. pretty funny stuff.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger noha said...

I finished long way down and I'm going back to get ALL the other ones I can find by this guy. He's a genius!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Ally said...

How To Be Good is the first of his books that I read. It is pretty good, but not my fave. I still need to read 31 Songs. I think I'd love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home