Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

11.28.2006

If that's the only way for you to be with me...



"If I were a painter
And could paint a memory
I'd climb inside the swirling skies to be with you
I'd climb inside the skies to be with you"

Painter Song - Norah Jones

***
At my first official Soulfari Kenya board meeting in October, Josie Mai, stellar woman and Executive Director of Soulfari, hipped me to this cool project she's doing:

face.africa is her creative effort to link American and African artists with school-aged Kenyan orphans (the 70 we met this summer at Villa Teag in Dandora). Participating artists are donating an 11x14 portrait of one of these children, done in any two dimensional media and style of their choosing, and then Josie will then deliver them to each child as gifts in July 2007.

These kids have very few personal possessions, and most don't have a photo of themselves, so this idea is ridiculously cool.

Signing up was a little intimidating since I'm not an artist per se, but I had to let that go. The idea and challenge were too cool to pass up. I don't typically do portrait work, but I thought this would be such a fantastic gift to send Mercy. So, I signed my name by hers, took her portrait, and then spent 1 1/2 months freaking out about it.

After I got her letter a week or so ago, I got inspired and wanted to work. Me + 2 hours on a Wednesday night = this final piece.



See what other artists have done on the Soulfari Kenya blog, and check out Jeter's masterpiece.

6 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger little jeter said...

So proud, so proud. I can't wait to see it in person. Did you use watercolor?

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Ally said...

I used acrylics, but painted on watercolor paper, so that's why it turned out so watery.

Her portrait is charcoal and pencil over a photocopy...let's just say my attempts at drawing were um, elementary :)

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Esue said...

I.dig.it.

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a regular Vincent van Angelo! Very nice.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger myleswerntz said...

so, i'm about 90% sure i'm going to kenya this summer. can i send you a picture to transform when i get back?

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Ally said...

Mr. Myles - most definitely. I can't make any promises that it'd be a portrait, but if you sent me some scraps of paper things and photos that meant something to you, I could create something cool.

Hope you get to go...why 90%?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home