Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

11.13.2006

bobby pins

















I love being a girl. All of this last week simply reconfirmed this fact as I spent more time than I usually do getting all dolled up to come to the opera.

In the process, I remembered that there's something sacred about femininity:

Digging through makeup to pick out the perfect shade of pink.
Pinning up hot rollers.
Squinting into the mirror to apply mascara.
Threading an earing.
Carrying a clutch purse.
Selecting the appropriate perfume.

It might be a lot of work, but it's sure worth it.

On opening night I approached downtown Kansas City. The skyline was brightly humming with nightlife. Frank was crooning over my speakers. My hair mimicked an Audrey Hepburn photo I'd seen. It could have been 1963.

So, in an effort to preserve a little of the nostalgic glamour and forget about all the heaviness of life lately, I drove to the opera each night with a soundtrack of old standards. It was fantastic.

These songs are the perfect way to start a date, escape the world or show a woman that you think she's lovely.

Now grab someone and slow dance.

Bobby pins
Misty - Sarah Vaughan
Last Night When We Were Young - Sarah Vaughan
I've Got The World On A String - Frank Sinatra
I've Got You Under My Skin - Frank Sinatra
I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm - Ella Fitzgerald
Something's Gotta Give - Ella Fitzgerald
Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars) -Astrud Gilberto, João Gilberto & Stan Getz
So Nice (Summer Samba) -Astrud Gilberto & Walter Wanderley Trio
Since I Fell For You - Dinah Washington
Stardust - Dinah Washington
Darn That Dream -Dinah Washington
Blue in Green - Miles Davis
Pursuance (Part 3)/Psalm (Part 4) - John Coltrane

2 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While these are all excellent choices, I got to question your police work Lou. How about:
Tony Bennett
Dean Martin
Billie Holiday
and of course, Percy Faith

Glad to see that you can still get your girl thing on. I've always gone a bit quieter and closer to a peach shade of lip gloss. But, that's just me.

Love ya
D

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Ally said...

2 things:

1. I don't have any Billie on my iPod. That must be rectified.

2. Can't believe you just said "get your girl thing on."

You're the best, Dad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home