Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

11.17.2006

TGIF one-offs

The Woman Behind The Curtain -
If you've always wondered what I do for the Lyric, check out a post I put up on our blog about a radio spot I produced for Hamlet.

So Old It's New Again -
Found myself grooving to Erykah Badu's 2004 album Mama's Gun today. She has a voice like a mint julep - oozing with sugary goodness, it knocks your ass to the ground before you know it.

These Legs Are Made For Runnin' -
I've faithfully completed every training run so far, and at the (almost) culmination of week 5, I am hooked. I've already done a 3 mile run, so now I'm working on speed and endurance. Tomorrow, I plan to buy my first pair of running tights...but I don't know how excited I am about that.

3 Runners, 80 Days, 4,000 Miles...Across The Freaking SAHARA -
Any of you read about this new venture to raise money for drinking water? This is unbelievable. So many runners raise funds for a particular charity with each marathon and the win-win of the situation just awes me. You = more healthy with a new accomplishment. Others = benefit from your milestone. Makes me wonder - would Jesus have marathoned?

I'm Late To The Party -
I realize everyone who's anyone has read or is reading Traveling Mercies. Just to be different, this week I picked up Anne Lamott's book, Plan B, at the library and she's cracking me up. I love her. Pairing life-shaping wisdom with humor is such a gift.

Among the best lines so far:
- God doesn't want or expect you to get it together before you come along, because you CAN'T get it together until you come along. You can spend half your time alone, but you also have to be in service, in community, or you get a little funny. (Caps mine.)

- Peace is joy at rest, and joy is peace on its feet.

And, Sometimes Father Really Does Knows Best -
Via email: Stop and smell the roses. Everyday doesn’t have to be a win. Somedays, just getting by is victory enough.



(sniff). You're s-m-r-t. Thanks, Pops.

5 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Esue said...

1) Better late than never. Plan B and traveling mercies are equally excellent in my book.

2) Run on runner, tminus 18 days!

3) I love mama's gun...it is all kinds of groovilicious. kevin and I bonded over this badu album when he was in china. "this is how i look without makeup, and wit no bra my ninnies hang down low" Seriously? Yeah, it's that good.

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Ally said...

E - I listened to that song, "Clever" on the car ride back home yesterday and cracked up. Someday, that'll be us. Something to look forward to, I guess.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Esue said...

I totally look forward to looking smokin' hot in $7 thrift store dresses while commando. Hot.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Ally said...

"My dress ain't cost nuthin' but 7 dollars...but I made it fly..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home