Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

11.27.2006

Back in the saddle

Sometimes when you aren’t going slow enough, God does it for you. Stupid sexy flu.

After a week of recoup and a belly full o’ turkey and taters, I’m bringing blogging back. Yeah.

Since I missed the opportunity to gush gratefully in this public arena, just close your eyes tight, click your heels three times, and pretend it’s last Thursday again.

I'm thankful for:

1. Challenges. Although they’re essentially the same thing as a problem, my approach towards them has shifted a bit – it’s now tinged with optimism. After making it to Kenya and taking up running, I pretty much believe I can do anything that God places in front of me. See that glint in my eye? Now let’s do this.

2. Nurturing. The inclination to mother and give care is one of my favorite gifts from God. This last week I was reminded of my fragility and truly, truly, truly, just wanted my Mommy. Thank you for my friends who fulfill that need and for a family that is just a phone call away.

3. Extravagant Love. I recognize that I CAN have this while I’m single. There are people in my life who know how to love me the way I deserve and crave and I love them for it.

4. Children. No longer afraid of breaking a child I pick up, I’ve got a new perspective about little dudes. They’re pretty darn awesome and they (almost always) love you really hard. Plus, they give you an excuse to smile a whole lot.

5. Healthy Self-Awareness. It’s good to know yourself…and to love all of your goodness and shortcomings. Ralph Waldo Emerson said it perfectly: As we grow old…the beauty steals inward.

6. Aural eargasms. Rediscovering my extensive neo-soul/R&B collection is affecting my mood in a beautiful way. Just try and listen to Remy Shand or Jill Scott without feeling sexy, more powerful or self-assured. I told one of my music-loving friends awhile ago that his penchant for emo/indie rock made me want to slit my wrists…then I ate my words and went on a 2 year bender. Going back to The Roots now.

7. Glory on display 24-7. No matter where I am, there’s something in creation to get lost in and marvel over. This week it was calm Minnesota skies, prairie grasses and clean air.

8. THIS day. Sometimes I skip over the simpleness, but this life has been a great run so far. Thank you for all of the yesterdays and all of the tomorrows...but as always, I think today is the best.

9. Beautiful art. I live in a city where I can see amazing art every day and most of it for free. Monday - A cerebral movie at the Tivoli. Tuesday - Monet at the Nelson. Wednesday - A concert at UMKC. Thursday - Standards in the Jazz District. Friday - First Fridays. Saturday - The Nutcracker. Sunday - Take what I've seen and make something of my own.

10. Endless possibility. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Today's Soundtrack: The Way I Feel - Remy Shand

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home