Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

10.18.2006

glimmers of hope
















Recent news would have you believe that the world is falling apart. War, injustice, torture and malevolence abound.

Where exactly do we go to find God?

In the smallness of humanity.

The tiniest gestures seem to reveal God's presence in a tightly compacted, catch your breath sort of way. Today has been littered with moments that give me hope in the inherent goodness of God, both on His own and through His people.

...The man in front of me, stopped at an intersection during a green light, pausing to hand a pack of Skittles out his window to a homeless man.

...My Dad's warm voice, answering my lunchtime phone call. Then his voice, sugary, as he said "I love you."

...The crew at my local coffee shop, encouraging me to upgrade to something other than the free coffee my repeat business had earned. Their kindness (and one heck of a latte) were heavenly.

...10 people from my church, gathered together over lunch to pray. The group's selfless, heartfelt prayers for others made me proud to be a part of my church.

...My friend, pausing yesterday to ask a homeless man for his name during her run.

...A co-worker asking genuinely how I'm doing.

...The fire-red tree near my church that shed exactly half its leaves. The untouched wreckage on the lawn looked so sacred.

...My friend, who routinely lets me know via email how appreciated my friendship is.

...The gleam I see in people's eyes when they talk about Africa.

...A delivered prayer for wisdom to see loneliness in those around me.

...My friend, holding my hand through the grayness of today.

...these song lyrics - "how great, how high, how deep, how wide, is your love."

Indeed.

5 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger little jeter said...

such wisdom...I must smile and say ahhhh!

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger myleswerntz said...

so, i'm going to kenya in may...

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Ally said...

mr. myles...details, please.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger myleswerntz said...

i was supposed to go last year, but i'm signing up early to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that it goes through this time.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger myleswerntz said...

oh, it's through a group at Baylor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home