Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

2.15.2006

When She Believes...

"Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!" Luke 1:45

I believe I'm going to Kenya. I believe God will accomplish it.

It feels weird to believe in yourself and your vision. It feels like if we know something with utter certainty, we run the risk of turning out like Kanye West (sporting a weird Scarface look at the Grammy's and posing as Christ on the cover of Rolling Stone). So while I ain't messing with no golddiggers, today I unearthed an urge coupled with confidence that I think Mr. West would appreciate.

I believe in myself. I believe I'm going to Africa and nothing can stop people when they want to help. Sometimes I let that sink in a little bit and get overwhelmed...

What am I going to see?
How will my mind reconcile the vastly different circumstances of these people?
Could I get sick?

It's hard to comprehend the journey when you haven't taken it...sort of like going to the Olympics for the first time. The only way to push through the hugeness of this trip is to SLOW DOWN, and recognize that my certainty isn't of myself - it's FAITH.

I love the verse from Luke. It zinged me between the eyes with the same certainty (I'm told) you have when you lock eyes with your soulmate. I'm captivated by the promise that I am blessed when I believe that the Lord will deliver.

He's told me so about Kenya. On several occasions.

I'm amazed at the way he's delicately put the puzzle pieces together and geared my heart this way. He's made funny things line up and relationships burst open to partner on this journey.

I believe the Lord will deliver.

Part of believing is acting on it. Sharing the journey with all of you, being vulnerable in this place, walking in the belief that I'm going, and asking for what you need. This is how faith and belief are tied together.

So many people want to help...and I've been avoiding this step today.

It's scary to ask for money. It's scary to think that people don't want to give, that they'll think I'm selfish, and my promise from God won't come to fruition. But if I believe in the promise of this verse, I have to throw caution to the wind...and get humble.

So -if you believe in my journey and you want to help the people of Kenya, here's how to do it:

1. Donate. I'm raising money for my trip first, then any excess funds will go to other travelers or supplies for the facilities we volunteer at. I have a payment coming up before my benefit party on March 25. If you feel inclined to give before the party, it would be a tremendous burden lifted.

You can either mail donations to me directly:
Ally Moore
Lyric Opera of KC
1029 Central
Kansas City, MO 64105

Or make a donation in my name to Soulfari Kenya directly:
Julius & Sarah Were
Soulfari Kenya
7505 W. 61st St
#136
Overland Park, KS 66202

We'll later be collecting physical donations for the orphanages. Stuff like books, rulers, etc. The needs list is posted on the group’s web site: www.josiemai.com/soulfarikenya. We'll need these donations later on, and I'll probably have a recepticle at my party.
*I'm working on posting this list on my sidebar if anyone knows how to do it - let me know.

2. Pray. I am firmly convicted that prayer is what will make this trip a success.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phillippians 3:6-7

I've been called in my own time to humbly sit in quietness, and for those of you who read Monday's blog, I'm trying out this whole solitude thing. It's giving me tons of great ideas, and such support. Join me in prayer. For yourself. For this journey. For Africa.

3. Tell others about Africa. There is so much happening on this continent that we know next to nothing about.

Read CNN.

Set up a Google News Alert for certain countries.

Visit these sites:
http://www.one.org/
http://www.data.org/

Read up on Kenya like you would have in elementary school: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ke.html

Pay attention to what's happening in Uganda with Invisible Children:
http://www.invisiblechildren.com/

4. Help with my party. I need help getting wine and beer donated, and I'll need some people to help collect money and make sure stuff goes smoothly. Also, if anyone knows of a printer that would run off some photos in fairly large sizes, I'd love it.

5. Don't forget the reason I'm going. To hang with kids like this.

















I love you all. Know that today. I'm happy that you gave me a passion to do something like this. Get inspired, and help if you're called to do it. Join me. Follow the string.

Today's soundtrack: When She Believes - Ben Harper (Diamonds on the Inside)

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep me posted on party needs, Ally, and I'll be thinking of you and your mission!

-K-Holla

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Ally said...

Thanks, Katie. Welcome to the blog. I really appreciate your support!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home