Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

2.08.2006

Atrocity without words




Indignance is a really productive feeling.

Think about it. Love inspires great movements, great acts of beauty and amazing kindness, but outrage...now that changes history. THAT stays in your heart long enough to give you strength, courage or purpose.

The cool thing about stepping into the world each day bathed in the love of Christ is that outrage and injustice are given a proper funnel of action.

"For the LORD is righteous, he loves justice; upright men will see his face." - Psalms 11:7

Through the love of God, and His very nature that loves justice, horrific injustice is given a voice. Upright men see that he hates injustice, and people are inspired to act. We are pushed forward with a mission of love and compassion to counter that inequity.

Last night I was pushed. I went with a group of friends to see the documentary, Invisible Children. UMKC showed the film as a part of their diversity week, and I give them huge kudos. This story is beyond outrage. I was indignant. Irate. Fuming.

There are children in Uganda who every night trek to a hospital to sleep on a floor so they won't be kidnapped by the rebels.

They carried signs begging not to die. Eight-year-olds.

Children who have seen brothers, sisters, friends HACKED to death before their very eyes.

That is beyond wrong. That is inexcusable. Intolerable.

Read all about it these children, and the project here. I cannot state this enough. Take 5 minutes, peruse the site, again, here, and let injustice wash over you. I promise it will change you.

As I watched it I wept. There was a boy who refused to talk about his brother. He talks about the horror of knowing he is dead, but how he can't cry, because it won't do any good. Then, he breaks into this wailing, soul-quenching cry that I can't explain. My spirit felt it. I cried alongside him, continents away. I hope that none of you ever hear that sound. It was crushing.

I prayed for these children, and I'll keep praying for them.

As I prayed that they would find happiness, that someone would save them, give them a voice, right this wrong, I realized how God answers these prayers.

WE are the solution. Ignoring them won't make it go away. Sending aid might not either, but we can choose to be active vessels of God's salvation. THAT's how He creates miracles.

How do you think He answers the desperation of the poor? ("PLEASE send me money for heat.") He inspires out hearts to action.

Maybe we've seen someone holding their hands over a burning trash can, had some extra cash, and sent it to a church or mission. That act of faith is an answered prayer. It answered that prayer for heat.

Today, help me answer my prayer. Do not let your minds grow stagnant to the troubles of the world. Open your minds and see where you might help in the community and abroad.

Be vessels of God. Be an answered prayer. Donate. Write your congressperson about a huge injustice. Volunteer. Do.

Today's soundtrack: "Blessed to be a Witness" Ben Harper - Diamonds on the Inside

2 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Esue said...

"I hope that none of you ever hear that sound."

No child should ever have to cry that cry, but because they do, they must be heard. It is something that cannot be ignored. i see a good redtent project in our future. i'm ordering the DVD this weekend!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Ally said...

Amen, E. Thanks for showing me the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home