Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

2.13.2006

Good things come in threes too

My new buddy, Phil Lesniewski has known me a sum total of 6 days. We've had four emails back and forth, talked for maybe 20 minutes, and he managed to see through every layer of defense, posturing and bullsh*t to impart this after he read my blog:

"Stay positive. Don't ever stop writing. Seek solitude."

I'm writing this out and sticking it on my bathroom mirror. These three simple things identify so deeply with my soul's current ache that they seem as built-in as my nervous system.

As I break down this tremendously striking advice I realized that if I only know one truth this week, I know that God is good. Who else could have engineered this wisdom from someone I've just met?

First, as Monday winds down, I'm not positive. I'm pissy. I'm tired. I want a glass of wine...and that's becuase I'm copping out. Sometimes to be positive, you have to remind yourself, plaster on a grin, and drive home listening to Prince with the windows down while singing "I Feel for You." You now know what I'll be doing in 15 mnutes.

Second, painting and writing take up equal corners of affection in my heart, but I've really come to enjoy composing all these posts. I know they reach some of you, and that makes me happy, but really it's the therapy of organizing all the stuff inside my head that brings me joy. I analyze too much, and if I don't get it out, I go nuts.

Finally, seeking solitude is something I SUCK at. I love people, get burdened down by commitments, and get super-jazzed about 5 million things going on at one time. My ideal day would probably include a visit with every person in my life, racing between concerts, art galleries, coffee parlors and wine bars. It'd be chock-full of dense, meaty, soul-searching conversations. It would be insane, and although I'd be happy, God doesn't really get in when you're racing around and dissecting life without his input. I realized this weekend that to have a really quality life, AND to bring the most of myself to others, I've got to call a timeout to seek solitude, and seek God. Even if it's only 30 minutes, I gotta do it. Everyday. Sometimes multiple times.

So...we see what well-timed message can do. Phil's email put a beautiful bow on some inner rumblings, and gave me some purpose for this week. Well-intentioned words like these happen to me everyday. Sometimes they're from a book, a prayer, a beautiful gift, snow on a Saturday morning, a person that knows us better than we know ourselves....

or someone who doesn't know much about us at all.

Asante sana (thank you), my new and old rafikis (friends) for these little moments. They do not go unnoticed.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Esue said...

phil is a good one...i barely know him, but i know already that he is a cheerleader and do-er for things that are good and true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home