Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

1.24.2006

kupenda

(Kiswahili) V: To love

As my birthday celebrations have finally halted, I decided tonight to revisit birthday card wishes and swim around in the afterglow.

The topic of today's blog comes straight out of a card from my fantastic buddies Sarah & Julius. As I read this word, I was reminded of why I get up everyday...to love.

Remember how I spent yesterday pondering the "meaningless" nature of life? I still find beauty in that, but I found a way that I can make my little space in the world mean something, and truly live Ecclesiastes 9:7. Walk in the everyday, living kupenda.

I read a quote today that stopped time. Seriously - the clock jumped from 8:02 to 8:05. That's how earth-shatteringly true this is.

"When I look around and see the poor suffering from social and emotional alienation, I understand how Christ can feel so sad to see himself alienated in them. The alienation that the poor suffer is the alienation that Christ suffers." - Mother Teresa

Could it be any more simple than that? Why do we walk past them when it could be so much easier to embrace kupenda?

Just imagine:
- Two seconds filled with a kind smile = an invitation to join your life for a moment
- Lovingly listening after you ask "How are you?" = the difference between a good and a bad day
- Thanking someone you take for granted every day = wiping away the alienation Christ suffered

It does us good to remember that there exists more emotional poverty in America than actual economic poverty. How many people in our offices are slowly and painfully dying of alienation? Would it be that hard to breathe in, sigh "kupenda" and take a minute to care?

Love kept for ourselves in the reservoir of our heart's chalice will not empty, but will instead grow stagnant. A full heart that is overflowing benefits from a continuous rebirth at its source. It never stops regenerating, but is refreshed with the purity of new blood.

Today's Soundtrack: I Believe (When I Fall in Love it Will be Forever) - Stevie Wonder

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home