Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

10.23.2007

The BEST

I often joke that I'm KC's unofficial welcome wagon. I was reminded of this yesterday as we welcomed in a new co-worker from Texas into our department. "Oh, you've GOT to go to Lulu's - awesome lunches - even better saki." "La Bodega. Great Happy Hour." "Every BBQ fan must do the gas station BBQ at Oklahoma Joes."

I've got a million of 'em. I mean, I'm from a family of wagoners.

My brother could tell you the BEST anything - restaurants, bars, movie theatres, ways to get somewhere. We joke that he knows "a little bit about a lot."

My Dad loves to seek out the smallest, dive-y-ist places in town. He's a special conneisseur of greasy spoon breakfast joints. I attribute this to years spent in Village Inn kitchens.

My Mom tends to seek out shops and places she can get rare beauty items. She knows people everywhere and will drive a few hours to grab something she needs.

Bits of them have bled into me. I recognize that the important part of my wagonerring isn't solely the recommendations - it's the time spent with the newbie. When I met Cass, our first day together was an unofficial tour of KC down 39th street exploring the local vintage spots and restaurants. Sure, I could have told her where everything was, but we did it together, and got to be amazing friends as a result of it.

It reminds me that while we extoll the virtues of quality time with our families, and though we surely have so little of it to spare, it's important to share it with strangers too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home