Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

9.22.2006

Think Long

Tonight I find myself in a state most unfamiliar to me. I’d usually be well into a REM cycle, but it’s already Friday morning, and after tossing and turning, this whole sleep thing just isn’t working out.

This week has been messy. It’s been hard to shut my brain off at the end of the night. That’s what kept me up tonight - a mind that seems to be preoccupied with what to make of the future.

The future seems so gray, mutable and easy to get consumed in mulling over. As I lay in bed, my body tensed up as my mind traversed the hidden landscapes of what was to come in the next few days, months, years. This fogginess, coupled with the curiosity of a mind left to wander the night, and I was left with a distinct loneliness.

That’s what finally got me out of bed. I’m not going to toss and turn over it. So it seemed like this was an appropriate time to write.

I haven’t talked much here about what it’s like to feel lonely, mostly because I hash it out with people that are seriously invested in my life, and let’s be real…these are intensely personal things and some of you don’t know me very well.

But I realized that if loneliness is what’s been keeping me up at night, I assume that there are a few of you out there feeling the same thing too. So maybe it’d be ok if someone gave voice to the chorus.

I wish I could write a Christian song that had the following refrain:

“It’s really hard to know that you’re working so hard on yourself and trusting in God, but He seems to have a really weird sense of humor, and it hasn’t worked out and now you’re tossing and turning alone. Woo-woo-woo.”

It’d be a lot more real than most of the crap they sing about. But I digress…

This ache…well, it’s not for lack of trying. (Even if my Mom seems to think so.)

My past has initiatives that were nobly attempted, went awry and were later put aside. I’m fully capable of recognizing that God’s protected me pretty well against some big mistakes, and held my heart after it got trampled on for a while.

Clarity aside, I can very distinctly feel this all coming to a head. I mean, something’s gotta give. We all have moments of reckoning. Moments where we’re met with the intense reality of our singleness, and as cool as it is to go check out the Nelson with a best girlfriend (and it was a great Saturday, Cass), I can’t help but yearn for the moment when I’ll get to do the things I love with someone I deserve.

In my prayer time lately, God and I have been chatting a lot about faith, and what true faith looks like. I know that for me, especially with regards to wanting a true partner in my life, it’s about endurance. There’s no quick fix.

The New Testament talks a lot about marathons, and I think faith is a lot like that.

I have no experience running. Still, this last Monday I had the strangest urge and decided it’s something I want to try out. It’d be a tremendous victory for me to run an entire 5K without stopping, and I sort of want to do it.

I went in to the Y and talked with a trainer a little bit, inquiring about a sample program that could teach me how to run. (Yes, I did feel ridiculous for asking that question. The obvious answer seems to “just run.”) He surprised me. He didn’t start to counsel me about how to start running in 2 minute segments, gradually decreasing my walking time until it went away all together. Instead, he looked at the strength of my legs and back and prescribed some weightlifting and stretches to build them up before I began.

He told me that as I got stronger, running for an extended amount of time would require less output. Basically, it’d be easier.

It isn’t until sitting here tonight, mulling over my own success in the marathon my brain is trying to run, that his strategy makes perfect sense.

I’ve been trying to run the distance without recognizing my own weakness and building up some strength first. I’ve just been waiting in faith, sprinting the trail, knowing God will deliver something great, but I guess building up my mind's strength would help it require less exertion.

So that’s what God’s been doing. Making me a whole hell of a lot stronger.

These legs aren’t quite tired yet. I guess they’ve still got a few more miles left in them.

And that’s enough to tire me to sleep.

4 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feeling Stronger Everyday.......Chicago.

I too had a lonely period. It wasn't until I basically relaxed and stopped LOOKING and worrying about it that it finally ended. I think the prey can tell when the lion is unsure or desperate. It's only when you put it out of your mind that you start to let your true self shine through. That's when the type of person you really WANT pops up. They see and love you for who you are, not someone you're trying to be or whatever. I'm also not trying to say you're putting on a false front or anything. But maybe it's a vibe or something that you're inadvertently sending out.

Whatever. You know, I'm not a genius. And this ramble is pretty much just that.

I like your plan to get stronger. I think while you're getting stronger and not putting pressure on yourself, that's when it will come to you. The love you're looking for that is.

Have a great weekend. Get some rest.

: )

B

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A:

Here's a relevant blog:

http://www.nerve.com/nerveblog/BlogALog.aspx?blogId=112

Enjoy. You're not alone.

B

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain sister. I think about this a lot and here's my breakdown of being a 20 or 30-something single girl: I grew up w/ way too many books that ended with "happily ever after" ie. true love came in on a white steed, etc. and Barbie also had Ken by her side, despite her being a career woman. I've had to refocus my sights on not what I want God to want for me, but what God truly wants for me; and it may not be a husband and 3 children running around. It's the patience and wisdom of accepting what God has planned for you, despite society's expectations. It is a tough road to listen to God and except that he may want me to be single the rest of my life in order to serve Him better, some days are really rough on the self-esteem (the question "what's wrong w/ me" comes up). But I think in the end, it's the complete resignation of the power we think we have and taking the baby steps everyday towards the selfless life God wants from us, husband or not. If memory serves me correctly, I thought Tim's sermons lately have touched on this concerning the life of Paul, a man who gave up the epitome of Jewish success and served God through JC. Give this some thought and if you want to hash it out over coffee, I'm down. I'm lucky enough to have an older Christian friend who has no problem telling me the brutal truth vs. what I want to hear (hence my view on this weighty matter).

Marlies

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Ally said...

Marlies -

You nailed it. Sorry I haven't been able to coordinate coffee yet, but I'd love some time with you. We'll talk soon...once this next opera is over, I'll have some more time.

B -

You're wise, sir.

Sarah -

Hearting. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home