Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

9.11.2006

Aural drippings

Thanks to this music lover and this site, I’ve had some great new stuff spinning on the iPod this weekend.

Most of what I picked up was live and acoustic and paired nicely with the still, relaxing weekend I had. A few gems:

Neil Young’s Harvest Moon as sung by Pearl Jam.
Admittedly, I'm late to the Pearl Jam party. They're growing on me, but I still prefer their slower acoustic stuff. They touch brilliance when they team up with Neil.

Be Be Your Love - Rachel Yamagata.
I'm also late to find her. (I had other stuff to get to, I guess.) It's hard to believe that someone this beautiful could ache so badly. I love this song because it's so simple. We've all been in this place - watching from afar, wishing time would speed up and push us together with someone.

The Headlock – Imogen Heap.
Sort of like Bjork, this vocalist from Frou Frou intrigues me. I don't know that I’m totally sold on her individually, but I'm willing to sit with it for awhile.

Arms of a Woman – Amos Lee.
“A thousand miles from the place I was born, but when she wakes me she takes me back home…” This song beautifully merges the freedom of being completely safe with the sacred femininity of a woman’s soothing embrace.

Hold You in My Arms – Ray LaMontagne.
“When you kissed my lips with my mouth so full of questions, it's my worried mind that you quiet…” What can I say? I’m a words girl. I can’t get enough of this guy and his raspy steadfastness. It makes me wonder what he’d be like in person.

Paperweight – Joshua Radin and Schuyler Fisk.
The perfectly fluctuating harmonies in this song sound like the humming sound rain makes when it changes intensity on your roof.

True Love Waits – Radiohead.
Radiohead is especially great acoustic, and there’s just no band that offers up a better soundtrack for your sadness.

Harbortown – Josh Ritter.
This track is reminiscent of a beautifully simple 70’s folk song. People easily compare him to Nick Drake, but I think he sounds like Cat Stephens here.

I’m going after a few things pretty hard right now (more details to come) and music shall soothe the savage beast while I wrestle with them and create.

Anything you’ve heard lately that gives birth to inspired output?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home