Follow The String

Sometimes I imagine that carry a ball of string with infinite threads that I wrap around everyone I meet, then they take it on their own way. We are all intertwined through these connections. Last summer, I took the spiderweb to Kenya, and passed it off to some beautiful people. Come on in. Watch it grow. Help me learn something.

5.03.2006

little gifts


















I'm amazed by how beautiful life becomes when you pause to be grateful more frequently throughout your day.

There's something humbling about it. It makes you small - takes you out of your self, your impending needs and wants.

I've spent most of my adult life seeking out really "wow" situations. I get fed by them, invigorated, inspired and ultimately, find faith in their majesty. But now, it's really cool to feel the constancy of little moments strung together in their absence. It's giving me a peace that is admittedly, unfamiliar.

I feel like I'm experiencing a whole different type of God. Contentment must tend to do that to a person.

This morning, I was schlepping boxes of programs over to the front of our theatre. When I stepped in our stairwell, a scent crashed into me. The humidity outside had infiltrated our building, and the aroma was particularly salty. For a second, I closed my eyes...and was back on the beach with my family in Panama City Beach, Florida. Eyes closed, I could almost feel the warmth of the sun licking my skin.

I sighed and smiled.

It was the most intensely intimate, perfect little gift from God. It was like he was saying, "Hey, Ally. Remember all those cool times with your family? I did that, and I wanted to make you happy at 10:15 a.m. in Kansas City while you were at work. You're welcome. Happy Wednesday."

These moments are adding up. I have at least a few every day, and I'm holding their secret beauty captive in the sharpie ink of my journal. Just keeping a few things between myself and God - another new thing I'm trying out.

1 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home